How to Scale Your Business Without Social MediaMay 04, 2022
In today's blog post, I want to chat about social media. More importantly, ways you can scale your business without being on social media.
If you were a part of my CEO Week challenge (ps. We just launched all the videos for you for free here), I break down the myth that we all believe at one point or another:
That Instagram (and what to post next) is your business strategy.
Let’s stop right there.
It is not.
The Evolution of Social Media
When I first started in Network marketing, it was before Instagram (the OG crew here) and they taught us to post on Facebook like 12 times each day. Some of my memory feed makes me cringe when I see it pop up. Then came Instagram and we were told to take selfies and post as much as we can. So insert Holly, taking a selfie with my smoothie in the parking lot on the way to work basically saying “look at me,” which we know is not going to turn anyone into a raving fan.
My point is that at the beginning of your business, or perhaps even now, you put all your eggs in the social media basket and then hope someone is going to see your content. Only 1% of your audience is actually going to see that amazingly thought out post. Which perhaps is a good thing if you are posting pictures of you and your smoothie in a parking lot.
How to Increase Visibility
My point is, you need a strategy to increase visibility and get yourself seen more. If you are spending HOURS writing amazing content (which p.s. content should be a huge focus), you want to make sure it is seen.
When I say Instagram is not a business strategy, it is not that I don’t want you to use it or other social platforms. I want you to think about how you can take that content and get it in front of more people.
How to Repurpose your Content and Get it in Front of More People
There are 2 ways that I recommend doing this:
- Start off of social media. For most people writing an Instagram post is their base, or starting point. But I want to flip the script. What if you had a starting point that was off of social media? This is what is called long form content, (which basically means it is several paragraphs). What if your starting point is a blog or an email? Or even a podcast? The goal is that it is something that you own so your audience can find it on your website.
- Repurpose, repurpose, repurpose. Once you have a spot where your long form content can live, think of ways to repurpose it. For example, a blog post of several paragraphs can become….
- A Pinterest pin (pointing back to your blog)
- An Instagram story - sharing where to find the blog
- An Instagram teaching post (my fav) - You could even break it up into 2 or 3 posts or create steps and do a carousel post
- An Instagram live or IG tv
- A Facebook live
- A weekly email to your audience
- A LinkedIn post
Etc. etc. etc
I could go on with 10 different examples, but do you see how posting on social is not a strategy? BUT creating polarizing, curated content that serves your audience in a way that you can repurpose can be?
You DO NOT have to spend hours on social media to make an impact. You need to have a presence and that presence can be built with consistent content.
Build a Presence with Consistent Content
Take that 1% of your audience that sees your Instagram story and then send them an email where between 30-40% will see it. Better yet, then put it on your blog where another 20% will see your content. Now you are getting somewhere.
My two favorite platforms to start with this strategy are a blog post or email (we all have that and it is free) and getting into a consistent schedule where you are writing and sharing once a week. Then you can take that content and multiply as much as you can.
Create a strategy that you can follow weekly and watch your reach skyrocket.
Doesn’t everyone want to go from 1% (and crickets) to reaching over 50% of your audience weekly? With a method that actually takes less time?
If you have questions about this scaling strategy, shoot me a DM, or better yet, if you haven’t taken the CEO Week challenge, find it here and I’ll teach it to you! (pst. It's free).
You can compress decades into days with strategy. And this is one way your content is going to help you become more visible and create more authority.
Let me know what your scaling strategy is! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.
Looking for more on this topic and your High-Level Action items? Check out the Strategy Lab in the Crush the Rush Club!