How to Build a Full-Time Business in 8 Hours a WeekMar 02, 2022
In this week’s blog post we are getting down to business and I am teaching you the exact 8-hour workweek schedule I used to build my business while working full time.
When writing this blog post, I am only about six weeks into being a full-time entrepreneur so this is still super fresh for me. I knew if I wanted to build a business the right way I needed to do two things. And so can you.
How to build a business the right way
- Ask yourself, are you in this for the long game? This is not what are you going to post on IG in the next two weeks. Is this what you are going to do in the next 5 years? 10 years? Are you on the right path?
- When are you actually working on your business? Because at some point, multi-tasking and “fitting it in” every 20 minutes does not work. Trust me, I was the gal that would go hide in the bathroom at work to check IG messages and then come home and work another 2-3 hours and was completely burnt out. You cannot work 24/7, nor should you.
If you are reading this and are like, well this is great Holly, great questions but I really don’t know what the next step is, then my CEO week schedule is for you. As in an 8-hour workweek designed to help you grow and scale your long-term vision.
Set business hours + theme days
How does it work? Well, the first thing you need to do is set your business hours. As an example, mine were the following:
M-F 6:00 am -7:00 am sometimes 7:30 if I was lucky
Sa - 6:00 am - 8:00 am
Sun - Planning Day (which was usually 1 hour in the morning).
Do you see how specific this is? I did this every day for two years straight. And almost NEVER missed a day. That is eight hours a week X 365 days X 2 years. That amounts to 5,840 hours. I actually have never done that math before, but when you put it that way, that is the amount of effort it took to scale to where I am now.
There were definitely days that I did more and days that I did less, but the consistency is what never changed.
You can then take it a step further and create themes for each day of work. For me, knowing that Tuesday is always content planning day, took the stress off of the rest of the week. I knew I had one hour to write as much content as I could and then I would move on.
No notifications. No distractions. Just focused work.
I took theme days a step further and created the following days:
- Content Planning Day
- Press and Community Day
- Client Care Day
- Business Systems Day (think finances, email marketing etc)
- And finally CEO Day. i.e. get your business and life organized.
Themes make it easy and easy is what you stick to.
The other point I will make is to notice that almost 2/3rds of my themes are serving, nurturing, and cultivating relationships. Ask yourself, how are you serving others? And build a business around that?
As I explain this to clients and in workshops, a lot of people look at me like I am crazy. That is it? There has to be more. The truth is there is not. It is simple. That is the secret.
Now you can get creative and double your work hours and have two hour work sessions instead of one. You can change up your theme days based on projects you have, but the base stays the same.
Do you love these tips? Take the Productivity Personality Quiz to get a Netflix-style binge-worthy resource list to help you find your focus and is customized to you! Take the quiz here.
- You start your week stress-free with your "CEO" day all mapped out
- You don't wake up anxious and stressed about fitting in all the things
- You have time to create content that aligns with your long-term vision attracting the right clients without spending hours scrolling.
- You know what systems to create behind the scenes to support your biz
- You had an income strategy to support your goals and time to review your finances to help you make the right decisions
- You know how to build a community and it is actually fun. As in you enjoyed your business plan.
- You had the right productivity routines in place so you actually could take a break and focus on all your VIPs (very important priorities), not just your business.
It sounds too good to be true, right? But I am here to tell you I am living proof that type of simplicity and accountability works.
I believe in this method SO much, I created a FREE 5-Day challenge teaching you exactly what I do each day of the week.
You will be walking away with an action plan to grow and scale without giving away all your time. Time freedom is possible.
Will there ever be enough time? No. Instead, what if you re-framed everything and focused on the fact that there is the perfect amount of time? And everything that needs getting accomplished will. ❤️
This is how. Don't miss out on this opportunity.
In this challenge, I share the exact schedule, strategic tactics, and even time management tips I used to scale (and launch) a 6-figure business in 12 months during a pandemic while working full-time and even taking time off without burnout.(i.e. we are still scaling!)
I can’t wait to pull back the covers and give you all the details and support you need to make this schedule your reality.
Looking for more on this topic and your High-Level Action items? Check out the Strategy Lab in the Crush the Rush Club!