3 Mindset Shifts you need to make while Running a Business and Working Full TimeFeb 07, 2021
I always get asked, "HOLLY, How do you run a full-time business and work full time?" In other posts, I share exactly how I do it, down to the tactical steps. But over the last year, I have done a lot of mindset work as well. If I am being honest, a few mindset shifts that I made have made a huge difference.
I will start off by saying that 6+ years ago when I started my networking marketing business (where it all got started) I thought mindset work was a joke. I was like look, I have 1 hour a day to build this business. I am not going to spend 30 minutes of it reading, meditation and journaling. But today, it is the opposite! It is the FIRST thing I do for my businesses every single day and when I start to feel anxious, or my confidence drops, or I start to get a lot of No’s (we all do), this is what I dig into first.
So we are going to cover 2 things:
1) The 3 mindset shifts you need to make if you are working full time (and running a business)
2) How I fit in the mindset work.
So let’s start with these mindset shifts.
Your business (as in hours, activities, etc.) will NOT look like someone’s that is NOT working full time. As in if they are working 8+ hours a day on their business and you are working two. Your wins will be different. And that is OK. This goes back to the comparison which is SO hard (especially with social media). You have to remember that where you are, you are for a reason. And learning and growing from those moments is what is going to help you scale. For so long I tried to “keep up with the Jones” as they say and would work long into the night so that I could appear as if I didn’t have a full-time job. But here’s the thing. That’s not my story. And it wasn’t authentic. So take a moment to appreciate where you are and what you are doing with the time you have. (You can obviously layer in some focus and productivity tips so that you can be more efficient, but appreciate the small wins each day).
Use your full-time job as positive motivation. I was talking in Clubhouse the other day (yes I am on it, but not very often, still trying to figure out time management on that one) and one of the guests said, "Holly, I hate my full-time job and find myself being pulled into wanting to work my business more. What do I do?" I will be the first to tell you not to quit unless your business is at a point where it matches your salary. Going into debt or creating anxiety about income makes growth harder (my personal opinion). Instead, think of your job as a stepping stone.
- Make the best out of it as you can. If you hate it, what are some positive aspects of it (Deep mindset work here). Benefits? Reliable salary? Friendship? Community? When I was traveling for consulting work years ago, I would actually have affirmations about why I liked my job written that I would read every AM before starting. It was SO intense but this kept me focused.
- Visualize the long term. Where do you want to be? How do you want to feel? What do you want to do? Think about how you can incorporate some of that feeling into your everyday. Maybe its taking a lunch break and working on your business. Or trying to be more flexible with your hours. The visualization is key to keep you motivated.
- Be grateful for where you are. There is so much instability in our country right now, think about how awesome it is to be right where you are. Even if its not perfect, make it a stepping stone for what is next.
Manifest your next steps. This step sort of pulls it all together, but if you haven’t read Gabby Bernstein’s Super Attractor I would highly recommend it. When I started to feel lost last year, I knew I need two things.
1) Mindset work.
2) A community to help support me so I wasn’t going it alone. I dug into this book and use her practices every single day. I read affirmations every am. (ps. I use the Think Up app to keep track of them). I journal FIRST thing after my workout and just let any thoughts come out on paper. I sit and visualize what I want to be, do and feel for the day and even the year (or sometime in the future) and use my vision board (which is on my laptop screen) to remind me.
Manifestation is truly something I had to just embrace at first until I believed in it, and now I see signs everywhere that it is working. I really try to focus on the “energy of appreciation.” Open your mind to the possibility...it truly does lift you up when you start to feel down or blocked.
Here’s a prompt for you -
When I'm in the energy of appreciation I feel….
Take note of how amazing you feel (and be specific) when you appreciate what you have around you.
Another technique that I do is ask for a sign. I know this sounds sort of woo woo but it works if you are open to it.
- Choose your sign
- Say a little prayer and be open to it (I am open to receiving a sign that I am on the right path and doing the right things. Help me take the next step)
Those are the 3 big mindset shifts that I have made that have helped me so much and stay focused. Plus it feels good. Really good.
I do this as part of my morning routine.
- Wake up
- Journal. Affirmations. Manifest (whatever it looks like for the day)
The first 90 minutes of my day are spent on ME and my mindset! I also add in some podcasts when I am getting ready and 90% of the time they are motivational. Sometimes you have to hit pause on learning new things and really work on YOU. Episode 01 has my entire morning routine mapped out if you are interested.
If anything, I hope this inspires you to maybe do things a little bit differently this year. Find time to master your mindset, join a community to support you (p.s. I have the perfect FB group for this!!) and appreciate your journey for what it is.
It’s a hustle for sure doing both a business and working full time, but it can be an enjoyable journey. One that makes you stronger!
Are you wanting some accountability and support to shift your mindset? Jump over to My Crush the Rush FB Group and share how you are shifting your mindset TODAY!